Saturday, August 20

Wildlife Sighting

Yesterday, I was woken at 4 AM by a flapping sound, and I thought to myself, "That's just my curtains, right?" Then as my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw a dark shape moving quickly across the ceiling and thought, "Guerrilla advertising for The Dark Knight Rises!"

After hiding under a blanket for a couple minutes saying "Don't echolocate me!" I attained a more reasonable state of mind and spent the next half hour waiting for our little baby bat to fly low enough for me to throw a towel on him (he didn't) or fly out the window I generously opened for him (he didn't do that either). Eventually he landed on the closet door and managed to crawl back into the Darkness From Whence It Came (by which I mean whatever sketchy hollow areas behind our walls that are accessible to bats). I spent the whole of Friday hoping it had found its way back outside, but then he reappeared while I was eating dinner. THIS time I trapped him in the porch and persuaded him to exit through the front door. Success! Sooo...bats can get into our house. Things I have learned.

UPDATE: On Sunday night I came in from rehearsal to find a SECOND bat in our room. (Possibly the same one, and he's very persistant.) This time I had the assistance of Mr. Andrew Dirgo, who gallantly trapped it against the wall of my closet with a shoe box. On Monday I decided it was high time I informed security, and yesterday they sent over someone from the carpentry shop to fill up all the holes around our closet with caulk...classy as always, Wooster. So far, no more bats.

No comments:

Post a Comment